Three elementary schools in the Natrona County School District (NCSD) participated in long term Ideas to Inspire™ projects. The overall theme was Our Place in This World. The goal was to develop, write, rehearse and record a song from scratch. Each school had a different take and approach to the theme. A new rock and roll instrument was introduced each session. Transition was the theme for Oregon Trail. The 5th graders made a mural with Paul Taylor about Transition, Predator to Prey, Day to Night and Seasons. We used the mural as a compass in our writing groups and the students wrote about the transition from starting at a new school and moving on to the next place. Their song is: ‘Our Place in this World’.
©2014 Ideas to Inspire
Process: Introduction to the project and objectives, learn about the bass, brainstorm song ideas and begin writing groups Guest: Curt Mychael, from Los Angeles CA (College: Berkley School of Music) Key Concepts:
- How is the bass different from the guitar?
- How does the bass help to tell the story?
- How does the bass make you feel?
- Can you play bass and sing at the same time?
Process: Songwriting process begins, learn about the drums, review melody ideas, song structure, beat patterns and song tempos Guest: Jeffrey Smith, from Milwaukee WI (College: University of Milwaukee) Key Concepts:
- Name three drums typically included in a standard drum kit.
- What do you use to play the drums?
- How do drums make you feel?
- How do the drums help to tell the story?
Process: Songwriting continues, learn about percussion, multi-track recording and song structure Guest: Jeffrey Smith, from Milwaukee WI (College: University of Milwaukee) Key Concepts:
- How is percussion different from the drum set?
- How does percussion make you feel?
- How does percussion help to tell the story?
Process: Solidify lyrics, learn about the electric guitar, choose melody and song structure, record vocals and instruments Key Concepts:
- How is the electric guitar different from the acoustic guitar?
- How does the electric guitar make you feel?
- How does the electric guitar help to tell the story?
Process: Writing groups, learn about editing, mixing, listen to finished song
Project complete! Song Premiere: "Our Place in This World"