Three elementary schools in the NCSD participated in long term Ideas to Inspire™ projects. The overall theme was Our Place in This World. The goal was to develop, write, rehearse and record a song from scratch. Each school had a different take and approach to the theme. A new rock and roll instrument was introduced each session. Mrs. Maguire’s 4th-5th Grade class is laid back and likes to have a good time. Their take on the overall theme was, Collected Memories. In our writing groups, we worked with the concept of snapshots, scrap books and photo albums. In the end, they wrote, ‘Here I am at Park’.
©2014 Ideas to Inspire
Process: Introduction to the project and objectives, learn about the bass, brainstorm song ideas and begin writing groups Guest: Curt Mychael, from Los Angeles CA (College: Berkley School of Music) Key Concepts:
- How is the bass different from the guitar?
- How does the bass help to tell the story?
- How does the bass make you feel?
- Can you play bass and sing at the same time?
Process: Songwriting process begins, learn about the drums, review melody ideas, song structure, beat patterns and song tempos Guest: Jeffrey Smith, from Milwaukee WI (College: University of Milwaukee) Key Concepts:
- Name three drums typically included in a standard drum kit.
- What do you use to play the drums?
- How do drums make you feel?
- How do the drums help to tell the story?
Process: Songwriting continues, learn about percussion, multi-track recording and song structure Guest: Jeffrey Smith, from Milwaukee WI (College: University of Milwaukee) Key Concepts:
- How is percussion different from the drum set?
- How does percussion make you feel?
- How does percussion help to tell the story?
Process: Solidify lyrics, learn about the electric guitar, choose melody and song structure, record vocals and instruments Key Concepts:
- How is the electric guitar different from the acoustic guitar?
- How does the electric guitar make you feel?
- How does the electric guitar help to tell the story?
Process: Writing groups, learn about editing, mixing, listen to finished song
Project complete! Song Premiere: "Here I am at Park"